Is the Philippines a good place to live for foreigners?
Similar to most South East Asian countries, the Philippines has its pros and cons.
However, in general, the Philippines is an amazing place to live for foreigners.
The Philippines has become more popular in recent years.
Many expats and retirees are starting to leave countries like Thailand and move to the Philippines instead.
But why is this?
Mainly because the Philippines is a good place to live for expats.
So let’s take a look at why the Philippines is the best country in the world for some and explore if the Philippines is the right place for you.
Why The Philippines Is A Good Place To Live
1. The Philippines Is The Second Best English Speaking Country In Asia
English proficiency fluctuates across South East Asia.
According to the English proficiency score, Singapore speaks the best English in South East Asia.
However, coming in a close second is the Philippines.
English is spoken at a very young age in the Philippines, and you will find that the majority of citizens speak a high level of English.
Similar to other South East Asian countries, the capital (Manila) has the best level of English proficiency on average.
But wherever you live in the Philippines, communication is effortless.
This is one of the main advantages of living in the Philippines as a foreigner, and it is why the Philippines is a good place to live and/or retire.
2. The Islands Are The Most Beautiful In The World
One thing that you will notice when you first arrive in the Philippines is its natural beauty.
There are many beautiful islands and landmarks across the country.
Whether you are interested in history or natural wonders, you will find that the Philippines offers you plenty of options.
If you are wondering why the Philippines is a good place to live, it is best to consider what other people say about the country.
So what do other people say about life in the Philippines?
In terms of islands and landmarks, I often hear expats refer to the Philippines as the Maldives of Asia.
There are some places in the Philippines that appear almost untouched by any human being.
These tend to be off the beaten track.
If you are looking to visit a flawless location, speak to the locals.
There are some beautiful places in the Philippines that are only known by a few locals.
Therefore speaking to the locals will help you find the best places and its overall beauty is one of the reasons why the Philippines is a good place to move to.
3. The Cost Of Living In The Philippines Is Diversified
Recently we discussed how much you need to live comfortably in the Philippines as a foreigner.
So how much do you need?
$1000, $2000, or maybe more?
Interestingly one of the reasons why the Philippines is a good country to live in is because the cost of living is highly diverse.
But what does this mean?
Simply that, whatever your budget and whatever your lifestyle, you will find opportunities in the Philippines.
In other words…
This is completely possible if you are looking to live very cheaply and enjoy your retirement.
On the other side of the coin…
If you are looking to live well and spend your money enjoying life, you will certainly be able to do so across many areas in the Philippines.
There is also plenty of options for those who look to budget and those who wish to live like a king or queen.
This is why for some, the Philippines is the best country in the world to live in.
However, a quick tip…
Even though the Philippines is a cheap country to live in, it is not the cheapest country in Asia…
So it is possible to burn through your cash pretty quickly.
There is a lot of convenience in the Philippines.
Some expats have found that living in the Philippines has caused them to spend a little bit more money on convenience.
This includes taxi rides instead of jeepneys and ordering food instead of cooking.
So it’s always a good idea to keep an eye on this if you plan to live in the Philippines on a budget.
4. Filipinos Are Very Warm And Friendly
One thing you may have come across when researching why the Philippines is the best country to live in, is the local people.
Local Filipinos are naturally warm and friendly people.
Just like in every country, you will find some locals who are also slightly shy, so it’s always best to be respectful and friendly.
Nevertheless, Filipinos have an amazing sense of humor and are very fun to be around.
Filipinos are also very family orientated, which will be stronger if the Filipino is more conservative/traditional.
Modern Filipinos have embraced many different cultures.
For example, you will see that Korean fashion and food have influenced the culture in the Philippines.
However, historically American influence has been a major part of the Philippines’ culture.
On the other side of the coin, you may have come across scams when researching if the Philippines is a good place to live.
Unfortunately, scams are common in the Philippines.
But I would add some information that is hardly ever spoken about
And that is that many scammers also target local Filipinos.
In other words, the scammers do not only target foreigners; however, there are some scams that target foreigners more than locals.
I say this because some expats can get the wrong impression about the Philippines and think that everybody is a scammer, and this is not the case.
However, many reports of scammers targeting travelers and expats living in the Philippines have been reported.
So it’s always best to keep your eye open and aware of the situation.
In other words, always keep a look out for those early red flags!
Nevertheless, most people you will meet in the Philippines are working professionals who are friendly and respectful.
5. The Philippines Is An Easy Place To Live And Retire
Over the years, many countries have made it slightly difficult for foreigners to live and/or retire.
This includes an increase in fees and an increase in requirements.
However, the Philippines remains a foreign-friendly country and an easy place to live.
This is one advantage to consider if you are thinking about moving to the Philippines as an expat.
But what does easy mean?
Easy is not just the visa requirements. The term easy also applies to the lifestyle.
This includes accessibility to other areas of the Philippines, making friendships and building connections, and overall life enjoyment.
Because the Philippines is a cheap country to live in compared to many Western countries, your lifestyle will be different if you are thinking about living in the Philippines.
Your money will have more buying power in the Philippines, and this makes life so much easier.
In addition, so much information about living and staying in the Philippines is in English.
Opening a bank account is in English, applying for a driving license is in English and obtaining health insurance is in English!
This is a big benefit compared to other South East Asian countries and is one of the reasons why the Philippines is the best country to live in for some expats.
6. It’s Easy To Build A New Life In The Philippines
A common question we get asked is, is the Philippines a good place to move to?
For most expats, the answer is yes.
And one of the reasons is the ease of building a new life.
The previous step included how easy it is to live and retire in the Philippines.
However, this step includes how easy it is to build a new life.
If you are looking to reinvent yourself in the Philippines is completely possible to do so.
For example, you may wish to start a business in the Philippines, which is a great idea.
Due to the cultural influence of the western world, the Philippines also has many facilities that are popular with foreigners.
Locals are very friendly to foreigners, which helps build a network and create a new life in the Philippines as a foreigner.
7. The Philippines Is Foreigner Friendly
Many countries in South East Asia rely on foreign investment and tourism.
But despite this, many countries have made it slightly difficult for foreigners to live and work in Asia.
For example, if you are looking to retire in Vietnam, you may be surprised to know that Vietnam does not offer a retirement visa for foreigners!
However, the Philippines offers many options for short-term and long-term expats.
As mentioned in previous articles, starting a business is also possible, and the barrier to entry is lower in the Philippines than in other South East Asian countries.
Therefore for some entrepreneurs, the Philippines is a good country to move to for business or investment.
8. Emerging Markets Could Mean The Philippines Is The Future
Talking about business and investment leads us on to the emerging markets.
Without a doubt, South East Asia is the future of many industries.
The Philippines also has many business and investment opportunities that are unique.
As someone who speaks about business and investment in the Philippines, I have seen many opportunities and emerging markets.
There is a great deal of high demand for natural products to be exported. These include fruits and vegetables, seeds, coffee beans, etc.
Interestingly, other small markets, such as computer chips and other computer hardware, have started to explode in recent years.
This may be a great reason why the Philippines is a good place to move to if you are an entrepreneur.
9. It’s More Fun In The Philippines
Have you heard it’s more fun in the Philippines?
This is the slogan of the tourism industry.
And in all honesty, I have to say it’s true.
There are plenty of activities, tours, and adventures in the Philippines.
Filipino people love to have fun, and whether it is a beer and food at the beach or a two-day-long tour, you will find an activity that you will enjoy.
If you are still wondering if the Philippines is a good country to live in, it’s important to ask yourself what kind of lifestyle you wish to live in the future.
Most of us want more happiness and more fun, which is why many expats see the Philippines as a great place to live.
But if you are looking to settle down and enjoy a quiet lifestyle, then fear not, as there are also plenty of opportunities for this kind of lifestyle.
Is The Philippines A Good Country To Move To?
So should you move to the Philippines?
The Philippines is a country I would highly recommend visiting if you are unsure whether it is right for you long term.
For most expats, the Philippines is a good country to move to, and many foreigners have fallen in love with life in the Philippines.
But what about on the other side of the coin?
Indeed there are some foreigners who do not rate the Philippines highly.
There are numerous reasons for this. Some have been scammed, while others just do not enjoy the Philippines’ lifestyle.
This is why visiting the Philippines is recommended.
I stayed and lived in many countries I enjoyed during my travels.
However, the Philippines just felt like home.
You do not get this feeling in every country you live in.
And this is how I knew that the Philippines is a good place to live in.
More Philippines Business Guides
- Cost of Living in the Philippines 2022
- Cost of living in the Philippines vs. The United States
- Cost of living in the Philippines vs. Australia
- Can I Live Comfortably in the Philippines
- Best Dollar Accounts in the Philippines
- Cost of living: Philippines vs. United States
- 15 Exclusive Ways How To Live Cheaper In The Philippines
- 15 Tips How To Live In The Philippines As A Foreigner
- 5 Best Places To Live Philippines 2022
- Best Business For Foreigners Philippines
- Best Place To Retire Philippines 2022
- Can A Canadian Own A Business Philippines
- Can A Foreigner Drive In The Philippines?
- Can A Foreigner Get A Loan In The Philippines?
- Can Foreigners Invest In Philippines Stock Market?
- Cheapest Cities To Live Philippines 2022
- Cheapest Places To Retire Philippines
- Cost Of Living In Quezon City For Expats
- Do You Want To Retire In Cebu Philippines?
- Examples Of Foreign Investment Philippines
- Expat Cost Of Living Davao City In 2022
- Expat Cost Of Living In Cebu Philippines
- Expat Living Outside Of Davao City
- Full Moving To The Philippines From The USA
- Health Insurance For Foreigners Philippines 2022
- Helpful Guide Living In Pasay City As A Foreigner
- Helpful Guide To Living In Olongapo City As An Expat
- How Can A Foreigner Invest In The Philippines
- How Can A Foreigner Work Philippines Legally?
- How Much Does It Cost To Live Comfortably Philippines 2022
- How Much Is The Minimum Cost Of Living In The Philippines
- How Much Money To Bring To The Philippines
- How Much To Live Like A King Philippines
- How To Find Cheap Flights To The Philippines
- How To Invest In The Philippines From USA
- How To Make Friends In The Philippines
- How To Make Money Philippines As A Foreigner
- How To Open A Bank Account Philippines For Foreigners
- How To Open A Business Philippines From Australia
- How To Open A Business Philippines From UK
- How To Rent A Condo Philippines As An Expat
- How To Send Money From Abroad Philippines
- How To Stay In The Philippines Permanently
- Is It Better To Live In Thailand Or Philippines
- Is It Safe In The Philippines For Foreigners?
- Is Tagalog Easy Or Hard To Learn For Beginners
- Life As An Expat Living In Davao City
- Live & Retire In Puerto Princesa Palawan
- Living In Angeles City Philippines As An Expat
- Living In Bacolod Philippines As An Expat
- Living In Butuan City As An Expat
- Living In Cagayan De Oro Philippines For Expats
- Living In General Santos City Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In Lapu Lapu City As A Foreigners
- Living In Manila Philippines As A Foreigners
- Living In Manila Pros And Cons
- Living In Palawan Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In Pasig City Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In The Philippines On $1000 Or More
- Living Las Piñas Philippines For Expats
- Moving Or Retiring To The Philippines From UK
- Moving To Leyte Philippines For Foreigners
- Philippines Living Costs For First Timers
- Retirement & Living In Makati For Foreigners
- Should I Bring Cash To The Philippines
- Should I Retire In The Philippines?
- Starting A Business Philippines As A Foreigner
- Ultimate Guide To Dating Philippines 2022
- What Is Considered Rich In The Philippines
- What Is It Like To Live In Manila?
- What Is Life Like In The Philippines 2022
- What Its Like Living In Cebu As A Foreigner
- What To Take To Philippines Checklist
- What You Can Buy Philippines On A Budget
- Which Is Cheaper – Thailand vs Philippines