Cebu is one of the most well-known areas in the Philippines, and many options are available for those looking to retire in Cebu Philippines. Today, we will be looking at whether Cebu is a good place to retire, tips for moving to Cebu, and why Cebu is the best place to live in the Philippines. Throughout today’s article, we will also be sharing some exclusive tips and tricks for retirement in the Philippines.
Costs Of Retiring In Cebu
Individual lifestyles are different; therefore, the costs for retirement in Cebu can fluctuate. Nonetheless, on average, retirees can live comfortably in Cebu between $800 – $1200 USD. One of the benefits of retiring in Cebu is that the cost of living can be flexible. Some retirees can live on less than $800 while others would find a budget of $1200 challenging.
But from speaking to the community and my own experience, it seems that most retirees living in Cebu can live comfortably on a budget of around $1000 USD. But the take-home message here is if you are looking to live cheaper in the Philippines, it is possible to do so even in Cebu city.
I have often spoken about retiring in the Philippines on our YouTube channel. Still, on a separate channel, I also discuss a few considerations and areas on living comfortably in the Philippines, which you can find on this link for more information.
Nonetheless, here is a quick breakdown of expenses for those looking for a brief summary.
- Food & Beverage Costs = 10,000 – 12,000 Pesos ($206 – $247)
- Insurance Costs = 2000 Pesos ($42)
- Laundry Costs = 2500 – 4000 Pesos ($51 – $82)
- Leisure Activities = 4000 – 6500 Pesos ($82 – $133)
- Miscellaneous = 3000 Pesos ($61)
- Rental Costs = 20,000 Pesos ($412)
- Transportations = 3000-5000 Pesos ($61 – $103)
- Utilities = 6300 Pesos ($130)
This comes to a total of USD: 1045 – 1210 – GBP: 750 – 880 – AUD: 1368 – 1585 – EUR: 875 – 1013. Naturally, this may differ from person to person. When looking at the cost of retiring in Cebu Philippines is always essential to consider your own individual lifestyle and what you need to enjoy retirement in Cebu.
Is Cebu A Good Place To Retire
Cebu is a fantastic location in the Philippines to retire. The Philippines has many benefits such as its accessibility to beaches, warm and welcoming locals, low cost of living, and modernized lifestyle. This is why Cebu has become a top-rated destination for retirees living in the Philippines.
Just like every city and area in the Philippines, there are always pros and cons. When discovering if Cebu is a good place to retire or not, it’s important to look at both the advantages of retiring in Cebu and the disadvantages. Some disadvantages include higher reported crime rates than other areas, heavy traffic, and dangerous driving conditions.
Nonetheless, for many expats, Cebu is a great place to retire. One consideration when looking at if Cebu is a good place to retire or not is the precise location in Cebu. Cebu is a large island, the city is where many retirees live in Cebu, but there are also other parts of the island that may be more appropriate for your needs and lifestyle.
In the north, you will find some beautiful golden sand beaches. On the other hand, suppose you are interested in living in some smaller towns. In that case, the area of Oslob is often a popular destination, especially for those who would like to get up close and personal with the local whale sharks!
Why Cebu Is The Best Place To Live In The Philippines
For many retirees, Cebu is the best place to live in the Philippines. But why is Cebu the best place to live in the Philippines?
Cebu has many advantages over its competitors, such as Manila and Davao. For example, Cebu is higher-paced than Davao, and some retirees who live in Davao City find the city slightly slow-paced and thus turn to a more high-paced environment such as one in Cebu. Another example is that Cebu offers a modern way of life which is often much cheaper than that of Manila.
Cebu is also a central hub for business and investment, and many foreign investors and business tycoons operate in this area. In addition, Cebu’s infrastructure and business sectors have been under tremendous growth over the last ten years, resulting in more businesses and opportunities in the area of Cebu.
Personally speaking, I see the three major areas of the Philippines to be Manila, Cebu, and Davao. Cebu is the middle ground. It is more upbeat and modern than Davao city but not as crazy as Manila. Therefore, Cebu is often a great place to live as it is the middle ground between two opposite living experiences in the Philippines.
Tips For Moving To Cebu
Now that we have looked at retiring in Cebu, retirement costs for Cebu, and a few other areas, it’s time to shed some light on tips for moving to Cebu.
- Grab. Grab is a popular service that is used across the Philippines and is commonly used for transportation. There are plenty of public or private opportunities for transport, but on average, you will find that grab is the most convenient and cheapest service for private transportation. One of the first tips for moving to Cebu is to download the grab app. This may be especially useful once you arrive at Cebu airport.
- Build an emergency fund. I’ve come across many expats, digital nomads, and retirees in Cebu, and most of them have some emergency fund. Still, there is a large part of the community that lacks an emergency fund or possesses a minimal amount. However, emergencies are common in our modern world, and this is why an emergency fund is essential.
- Have an open mind. The Philippines has changed a lot since I first visited the city all those years ago, but I remember the experience. Many expats reiterate a similar experience, and that is that some parts can seem dull. It’s sometimes common to find half-constructed buildings and unclean areas in Cebu. This tends to be outside the city, but it can give you a false sense of what it’s like when moving to Cebu, so it’s always best to have an open mind.
- Obtaining health insurance is often wise. Health insurance can seem like a luxury, but it is essential in the Philippines as payment will be needed in full and at the time. Some countries allow payment plans, but in the Philippines, if you do not have health insurance and need to obtain hospital treatment or medicine, you will need to pay in full.
- Avoid the peak times. One drawback of retiring in Cebu is that it’s a popular city for locals and expats. As a result, it has become highly congested. During peak times, you may find walking or cycling much quicker than other forms of transportation.
- Check the Wi-Fi connection. The Internet in the Philippines has been a well-discussed topic online over the last few years. Unfortunately, despite the Philippines being one of the highest countries to use social media daily, the Internet remains relatively weak. However, the good news is that many companies can check the Internet strength of a property before you move in, which is often recommended.
- If you are looking to save money, exercise in the parks. One of the great things about Cebu is that there are plenty of parks where you can work out and pump some iron during your free time. On average, the cost of gyms in the Philippines is relatively high compared to other Southeast Asian countries, and this is why working out in the local parks can save you a great deal of cash.
- Retirement requirements. We have recently spoken about retirement in the Philippines. We covered retirement visas and many other retirement topics, so you will find it very valuable if you look to retire in Cebu. I’ve added the link above for your reference.
- Bring your water shoes. There are many different tours and experiences in Cebu, and this may not seem like a valuable piece of advice for moving to Cebu, but if you are someone who enjoys the tours, water shoes can be a lifesaver.
More Philippines Expat Guides
- 13 Reasons Not To Live In Philippines Foreigner
- 14 Best Islands To Live Philippines
- 15 Exclusive Ways How To Live Cheaper In The Philippines
- 15 Tips How To Live In The Philippines As A Foreigner
- 15 Tips On Dating A Filipina Woman
- 5 Best Places To Live Philippines 2022
- Best Business For Foreigners Philippines
- Best Place To Retire Philippines 2022
- BEST Places In Philippines To Find A Wife
- Best Places To Meet Single Women Philippines
- Can A Canadian Own A Business Philippines
- Can A Chinese Person Start A Business Philippines
- Can A Foreigner Drive In The Philippines?
- Can A Foreigner Get A Loan In The Philippines?
- Can Foreigners Invest In Philippines Stock Market?
- Cheapest Cities To Live Philippines 2022
- Cheapest Places To Retire Philippines
- Cost Of Living In Quezon City For Expats
- Do You Want To Retire In Cebu Philippines?
- Examples Of Foreign Investment Philippines
- Expat Cost Of Living Davao City In 2022
- Expat Cost Of Living In Cebu Philippines
- Expat Living Outside Of Davao City
- Full Moving To The Philippines From The USA
- Health Insurance For Foreigners Philippines 2022
- Helpful Guide Living In Pasay City As A Foreigner
- Helpful Guide To Living In Olongapo City As An Expat
- How Can A Foreigner Invest In The Philippines
- How Can A Foreigner Work Philippines Legally?
- How Much Does It Cost To Live Comfortably Philippines 2022
- How Much Is The Minimum Cost Of Living In The Philippines
- How Much Money To Bring To The Philippines
- How Much To Live Like A King Philippines
- How To Find Cheap Flights To The Philippines
- How To Invest In The Philippines From USA
- How To Make Friends In The Philippines
- How To Make Money Philippines As A Foreigner
- How To Open A Bank Account Philippines For Foreigners
- How To Open A Business Philippines From Australia
- How To Open A Business Philippines From UK
- How To Rent A Condo Philippines As An Expat
- How To Send Money From Abroad Philippines
- How To Stay In The Philippines Permanently
- Is It Better To Live In Thailand Or Philippines
- Is It Safe In The Philippines For Foreigners?
- Is Tagalog Easy Or Hard To Learn For Beginners
- Life As An Expat Living In Davao City
- Live & Retire In Puerto Princesa Palawan
- Living In Angeles City Philippines As An Expat
- Living In Bacolod Philippines As An Expat
- Living In Butuan City As An Expat
- Living In Cagayan De Oro Philippines For Expats
- Living In General Santos City Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In Lapu Lapu City As A Foreigners
- Living In Manila Philippines As A Foreigners
- Living In Manila Pros And Cons
- Living In Palawan Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In Pasig City Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In The Philippines On $1000 Or More
- Living Las Piñas Philippines For Expats
- Moving Or Retiring To The Philippines From UK
- Moving To Leyte Philippines For Foreigners
- Philippines Living Costs For First Timers
- Retirement & Living In Makati For Foreigners
- Should I Bring Cash To The Philippines
- Should I Retire In The Philippines?
- Starting A Business Philippines As A Foreigner
- Ultimate Guide To Dating Philippines 2022
- What Is Considered Rich In The Philippines
- What Is It Like To Live In Manila?
- What Is Life Like In The Philippines 2022
- What Its Like Living In Cebu As A Foreigner
- What To Take To Philippines Checklist
- What You Can Buy Philippines On A Budget
- Which Is Cheaper – Thailand vs Philippines