What are the cheapest cities to live in the Philippines? The great thing about living in the Philippines is that there is an excellent diversity of low-cost accommodations and high-end living across the country, so no matter your budget or lifestyle, you can find the perfect city to suit you.
Today we are going to look into three of the cheapest cities in the Philippines. Before we begin, a tip is to look at some new city regions to find how expensive or cheap it is. We have included these areas in the article below; however, for your reference, here are the most critical areas to investigate;
- Transportation Cost
- Gym Memberships
- Utility Bills
- Food / Drink Costs
- Childcare Costs
- Average Location Salary
- Housing Costs
If you are looking for a more specific breakdown of costs, fear not because the below sources can provide you with this information.
The great thing about Expatistan is that at the bottom of the page, there have comparisons of different cities so you can compare your current city with the city you would like to visit or move to. In addition, this site is the fullest we have found regarding data as it highlights prices for everyday items such as coffee, fruit, cigarettes, Wi-Fi, toothpaste, jeans, shoes, maid services, bread, etc.
Numbeo is very similar to Expatistan though it has a few additional features. One feature is the comments at the bottom of the page. This is incredibly convenient because many members who comment have lived in the area before or currently do, so they have shared their knowledge on this site, some of which can’t always be found online. Visitors can also see extra data about the city, from pollution to crime.
Table of Contents
Cheapest Cities In The Philippines
3. Cheap Living In Iloilo City Philippines
Iloilo city is known occasionally for its Spanish churches and its old houses, but it’s often overlooked when it comes to ‘go-to’ cities in the Philippines. From research, it is suggested that during early 2019 the lowest food prices on average were found in this city! After a visit to Boracay, I stayed here for six weeks, and I found that the most noticeable difference in price for me was the food (compared to other cities). I found food in local supermarkets and markets to be inexpensive compared to other cities.
House prices in the area are also relatively lower than elsewhere. Compared to similar houses in other cities, research shows that house prices can be up to 8% cheaper on average. In addition, rental prices range from 5-10% on average cheaper.
Why Is Iloilo One Of The Cheapest Cities In The Philippines?
- Lower food costs than other cities
- Lower costs on rental & house prices
2. Live cheaply Bacolod
When it comes to Bacolod, there is incomplete information and statistics gathered about this growing city. Still, from investigation externally, we have found that Bacolod is incredibly economical for long-term living.
We have found that the fruit & veg market costs are at the lowest points here. The low price also extends to some leisure activities and gym memberships. The rental costs in this area remain low; however, as new developments are happening, the rental costs are slightly increasing but remain one of the lowest in the region.
Why Is Bacolod One Of the Cheapest Cities In The Philippines
- Low cost for leisure activities
- The cheapest costs we found for local market prices
- Currently low rental costs (May rise in the future)
1. Philippines safest city – Davao
If the question is the cheapest city to live in, in the Philippines, Davao would surely make the top 3 rankings every time. Davao city is known for many reasons. One of the most known reasons is the safety of the city. In recent years, this has caused a growth in tourism, which is excellent for the local economy.
I lived in Davao City for seven months and found the prices to be lower than anywhere else. Still, the most noticeable price difference was in rental costs. I saved ₱10,000 on rental each month compared to the same type of accommodation in other cities. Davao is also a growing city with an expat community.
Why Is Davao City One Of The Cheapest Cities In The Philippines?
- A highly regulated city which has resulted in less unregulated overcharging of services
- One of the lowest costs for condominium rental in the county
- On average, one of the lowest cities for utility costs
How Much Is The Minimum Cost Of Living In The Philippines?
Based on the latest data and first-hand reports, the minimum cost of living in the Philippines is around P10,000 ($210 USD) for locals and around P40,000 ($830 USD) for foreigners.
This amount changes depending on the individual, area, and overall lifestyle. For instance, foreigners living in the Philippines are more likely to live in major cities such as Cebu & Manila, pushing their overall costs up compared to locals who are more likely to live with family or friends, resulting in overall lower household costs.
List of cities: Philippines
- Angeles City
- Batangas City
- Cagayan de Oro
- Cavite City
- Cebu City
- Cotabato City
- Davao City
- El Salvador
- General Santos
- General Trias
- Iloilo City
- La Carlota
- Lapu-Lapu City
- Las Piñas
- Masbate City
- Puerto Princesa
- Quezon City
- San Carlos
- San Carlos
- San Fernando
- San Fernando
- San Jose
- San Jose del Monte
- San Juan
- San Pablo
- San Pedro
- Santa Rosa
- Santo Tomas
- Sorsogon City
- Surigao City
- Tarlac City
- Trece Martires
- Zamboanga City
Cheapest Cities In The Philippines: Take Away
We hope we helped you find the cheapest cities to live in in the Philippines found of mostly the two most significant factors that affected the score were rental prices and food prices. Other influences that increased the price were if the areas were heavily influenced by tourism & If large head offices of corporations were set up in the area.
Each city on the list has its unique feature, and depending on your lifestyle and where you spend your money, you may find one city better suited to you.
More Philippines Business Guides
- Cost of Living in the Philippines 2022
- Cost of living in the Philippines vs. The United States
- Cost of living in the Philippines vs. Australia
- Can I Live Comfortably in the Philippines
- Best Dollar Accounts in the Philippines
- Cost of living: Philippines vs. United States
- 15 Exclusive Ways How To Live Cheaper In The Philippines
- 15 Tips How To Live In The Philippines As A Foreigner
- 5 Best Places To Live Philippines 2022
- Best Business For Foreigners Philippines
- Best Place To Retire Philippines 2022
- Can A Canadian Own A Business Philippines
- Can A Foreigner Drive In The Philippines?
- Can A Foreigner Get A Loan In The Philippines?
- Can Foreigners Invest In Philippines Stock Market?
- Cheapest Cities To Live Philippines 2022
- Cheapest Places To Retire Philippines
- Cost Of Living In Quezon City For Expats
- Do You Want To Retire In Cebu Philippines?
- Examples Of Foreign Investment Philippines
- Expat Cost Of Living Davao City In 2022
- Expat Cost Of Living In Cebu Philippines
- Expat Living Outside Of Davao City
- Full Moving To The Philippines From The USA
- Health Insurance For Foreigners Philippines 2022
- Helpful Guide Living In Pasay City As A Foreigner
- Helpful Guide To Living In Olongapo City As An Expat
- How Can A Foreigner Invest In The Philippines
- How Can A Foreigner Work Philippines Legally?
- How Much Does It Cost To Live Comfortably Philippines 2022
- How Much Is The Minimum Cost Of Living In The Philippines
- How Much Money To Bring To The Philippines
- How Much To Live Like A King Philippines
- How To Find Cheap Flights To The Philippines
- How To Invest In The Philippines From USA
- How To Make Friends In The Philippines
- How To Make Money Philippines As A Foreigner
- How To Open A Bank Account Philippines For Foreigners
- How To Open A Business Philippines From Australia
- How To Open A Business Philippines From UK
- How To Rent A Condo Philippines As An Expat
- How To Send Money From Abroad Philippines
- How To Stay In The Philippines Permanently
- Is It Better To Live In Thailand Or Philippines
- Is It Safe In The Philippines For Foreigners?
- Is Tagalog Easy Or Hard To Learn For Beginners
- Life As An Expat Living In Davao City
- Live & Retire In Puerto Princesa Palawan
- Living In Angeles City Philippines As An Expat
- Living In Bacolod Philippines As An Expat
- Living In Butuan City As An Expat
- Living In Cagayan De Oro Philippines For Expats
- Living In General Santos City Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In Lapu Lapu City As A Foreigners
- Living In Manila Philippines As A Foreigners
- Living In Manila Pros And Cons
- Living In Palawan Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In Pasig City Philippines As A Foreigner
- Living In The Philippines On $1000 Or More
- Living Las Piñas Philippines For Expats
- Moving Or Retiring To The Philippines From UK
- Moving To Leyte Philippines For Foreigners
- Philippines Living Costs For First Timers
- Retirement & Living In Makati For Foreigners
- Should I Bring Cash To The Philippines
- Should I Retire In The Philippines?
- Starting A Business Philippines As A Foreigner
- Ultimate Guide To Dating Philippines 2022
- What Is Considered Rich In The Philippines
- What Is It Like To Live In Manila?
- What Is Life Like In The Philippines 2022
- What Its Like Living In Cebu As A Foreigner
- What To Take To Philippines Checklist
- What You Can Buy Philippines On A Budget
- Which Is Cheaper – Thailand vs Philippines