An employee break room, also known as a staff lounge, lunchroom, or break area, is a designated space where employees can relax, enjoy their meals, and connect with their colleagues. Providing your employees with a comfortable and inviting area in the office is more than an attractive perk. It also helps create a positive work environment. Additionally, a well-designed break room can boost productivity. It encourages employees to take regular breaks, improving their focus and job satisfaction.
However, it takes more than just dedicating a space for your employee break room for it to be effective and worth the investment. It must also be designed with the staff’s needs in mind. Ideally, the room must also suit the nature of your business. For example, if you have a web design company, the employee lounge must be a place that fosters creativity.
If you want to give your employees the best break room, here are the essential elements to consider.
Provide Entertainment Options
Because a break room is where your employees take a breather, it’s logical to provide different choices on how they can relax and spend their downtime. Adding entertainment options like an HD TV, board games, or a selection of reading materials is a good start. These amenities help employees unwind, engage in leisure activities, or simply take their minds off work-related stressors during their breaks.
Make the Room Functional
The staff lounge also needs to be functional, which starts with a well-organized layout. Have an area where employees can relax, and then another to have their meals or work on their personal tasks. In the latter, ensure that there are tables available for employees to use.
Additionally, consider including a kitchenette in your break room. It can be very helpful for employees who want to prepare their meals or store their food. Install a sink and faucet, along with essential appliances like microwaves, refrigerators, and coffee makers. These items promote convenience and ensure that employees have access to meals and beverages they prefer.
Prepare Various Snack Options
While it isn’t a requirement, providing snacks in the break room for your employees can be a great addition. Having even simple options like crackers, chips, or candies readily available can save employees time and provide a quick energy boost throughout the day. You can install vending machines filled with a variety of snacks and beverages, too. Also, consider offering healthy snack options alongside traditional choices to help cater to diverse preferences or health needs.
Install Comfortable Furnishings
Comfort is paramount in an employee break room and can make a huge difference in how rested your people are after their downtime. Consider investing in comfortable seating options, such as sofas, lounge chairs, and bean bags. After all, the break room is where employees unwind, and providing them with a cozy place to sit can do wonders for their relaxation.
Add Inspiring Decor
While comfort and relaxation are fundamental aspects of a great break room, creating a space that inspires your employees can take their experience to a whole new level. It can boost creativity, motivation, and overall job satisfaction. So, try incorporating art and decor that spark creativity and positivity. For example, hang up inspiring quotes, artwork from local artists, or employee-contributed pieces. Vibrant colors, motivational posters, and soothing aesthetics can uplift moods and encourage creative thinking.
You can also consider bringing elements of nature into the break room. Placing potted plants and succulents can be very inspiring and energizing. If possible, make sure the break room has access to natural light, as it can also rejuvenate employees during their breaks.
Dedicate a Quiet Space
In addition to areas for socializing and entertainment, it’s important to provide a quiet space within the break room. Some employees may prefer a serene environment for relaxation, meditation, or focused work during their downtime. For this purpose, try to section off or provide a designated quiet area. You can furnish it with comfy seats and yoga mats for those who want to take quiet breaks.
Incorporate Employee Preferences
To ensure that your break room truly caters to your employees, involve them in the design process. Seek their input and suggestions for furnishings, amenities, and decor. This collaborative approach not only creates a space that employees feel ownership of but also fosters a sense of belonging within the workplace.
Regularly Clean the Room
Maintaining a clean and well-kept break room is paramount to its functionality and appeal. It impacts the comfort, hygiene, and overall atmosphere of the space. With this in mind, establish a routine cleaning schedule for the break room. You can assign responsibilities or hire professional cleaners to ensure that the break room is tidied up and surfaces are sanitized on a regular basis. This includes wiping down tables, chairs, and countertops, as well as cleaning kitchen appliances, sinks, and communal areas.
If your break room provides dishes, utensils, and cups for employees, implement a system for regular cleaning and sanitization. Even setting up a clear process for employees to clean up after using these items can help them stay in good condition and keep the space clean.
Investing in your employees’ comfort and happiness not only benefits them but also contributes to a more productive and harmonious workplace. So, take the time to design and maintain the perfect break room. Consider these recommendations along with your employees’ preferences. With these in mind, you can create a great space where your employees can unwind and return to work feeling refreshed and motivated, which can result in your business flourishing.
More Philippines Investment Guides
- 11 BEST Investment With Monthly Returns Philippines
- 11 Investments That Pay Monthly Philippines
- 5 Best Investments for 10K In The Philippines
- 5 CRAZY New Investment In The Philippines
- 5 Good Investments Philippines For Students
- 6 BEST Retirement Insurance In The Philippines
- 6 Crazy High Risk Investments Philippines
- 7 BEST Investment With Compound Interest Philippines
- 7 Best OFW Investment Tips For PROFIT
- 7 BEST Short Term Investment In The Philippines
- 7 Key Investment Money Tips For Beginners Philippines
- 7 Super Good Investment In Philippines For OFW
- 9 Best Business Investments In The Philippines
- 9 Best Investment Tips Beginners Philippines
- 9 Small Capital Investments In The Philippines
- BEGINNERS Guide To Philippine Stock Exchange
- Best 7 Where To Invest 100K Pesos Philippines
- Best Stock Market Brokers For The Philippines
- How Investment Works In The Philippines For Dummies
- How To Be An Angel Investor Philippines
- How To Buy PLDT Stocks Philippines In 3 Steps
- How To Buy Stocks In SM Philippines In 3 Steps
- How To Buy Stocks Philippines 2022
- How To Invest In A Farm In The Philippines
- How To Invest In A Small Business Philippines
- How To Invest In Ayala Land Stock & REIT
- How To Invest In Blue Chip Stocks Philippines 2022
- How To Invest In Cebu Pacific Philippines
- How To Invest In Commodities Philippines
- How To Invest In Jollibee Stocks Philippines
- How To Invest In Lazada Philippines 2022
- How To Invest In Mutual Funds Philippines 2022
- How To Invest In Petron In The Philippines
- How To Invest In The Philippines From Abroad
- How To Invest In Wheat In The Philippines For PROFIT
- How To Invest Your Money Wisely Philippines
- How To Use Etoro Philippines
- Investing In Gold & Jewelry Philippines PROFIT
- Is It A Good Idea To Invest Money In Philippines Stocks?
- Low Risk Stocks For Beginners Philippines
- Philippines Stock Market For BEGINNERS
- Real Estate Investment Plan Philippines
- Top 10 Investment Companies Philippines
- What Is A Good Investment Philippines 2022
- What To Invest In Your 20s Philippines
- Where Can I Invest My 10k In The Philippines!?
- Where To Invest 1 Million Pesos Philippines
- Where To Invest 1000 Pesos Philippines
- Where To Invest 20K Pesos Philippines
- Where To Invest 5000 Pesos In The Philippines
- Where To Invest 50K Philippines
- Which Is The Least Risky Investment Philippines